30 June 2015

George Bankes

Above: George and a member of the Maori delegation in 1990 at the opening of the exhibition he curatored -  AOTEAROA: The Maori Collections at Manchester Museum.
We are very sorry to announce that one of our most loyal and long standing MEG members, George Bankes sadly passed away at the end of June 2015. George's contribution to every MEG conference (including the 2015 conference at the Powell-Cotton in April) was greatly appreciated and many of us benefited from his knowledge and expertise in Museum ethnography. 
We send our thoughts and best wishes to his family at this sad time. The funeral will take place in next couple of weeks, for details please email Stephen Walsh. 
We hope to publish a longer tribute to George in the journal of Museum Ethnography. 

2 comments:

  1. I have long searched for my old friend George Bankes, having lost track of him throiugh my own fault. This news deeply saddens me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have long searched for my old friend George Bankes, having lost track of him throiugh my own fault. This news deeply saddens me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.